Have a block of cream cheese that you’re not sure what to do with? Try these creative and delicious cream cheese dishes! This ingredient is extremely versatile and can be used in an infinite number of ways. Make a simple herby spread for your bagel or a creamy party dip. It’s also great for desserts and baked goods like muffins, cheesecake, and pound cake. This delicious cheese is capable of everything. Cream cheese is one of those pantry basics that is underappreciated in the kitchen. It’s a versatile ingredient that brings creaminess and a subtle tang to a variety of meals ranging from breakfast to dessert and everything in between. While most people associate cream cheese with cheesecake, it is also an excellent ingredient for adding a creamy texture to a variety of other dishes. We have previously discussed how you can make fat-free cream cheese spread. Below we have come up with 4 of the best light cream cheese recipes that you can enjoy in your home.
1. Herb Cream Cheese
Indeed, you can get herb cream cheese at the shop. Try homemade Herb Cream Cheese for the greatest herbaceous flavor! It’s bursting with brilliant green chives, dill, and basil taste, accentuated by savory garlic. It’s well worth making at home since it adds a personal touch to any snack tray. Make a big batch and save it for sandwiches or bagels throughout the week! It’s delicious on a Smoked Salmon Sandwich or as a cracker dip.
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
¼ cup chopped chives, or half chives and half fresh basil or dill
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried dill
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 to 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt or sour cream, or ½ tablespoon, to soften (optional)
- Check that the cream cheese is softened. Let it come to room temperature for 1 hour, or set it on a dish in the microwave for 5 seconds, then flip it over and cook for another 5 seconds. (If it isn’t at room temperature yet, cook for a few more seconds, but air on the side of caution.)
- Cut the herbs into small pieces. In a mixing bowl, mix everything, adding a little Greek yogurt, milk, or sour cream if preferred. If you want a fluffier, more spreadable texture, add 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Whipped cream cheese can be made by adding ½ tablespoon of milk to the cream cheese and whipping it in a food processor or stand mixer. Next, add the herbs and pulse until well blended.
2. Cheddar Bay Sausage Balls
This take on traditional Bisquick Sausage Balls is delicious. The taste boost from the Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix is incredible! It adds a lot of flavor to these cheddar bay biscuit sausage balls while being a simple snack recipe. Appetizer parties are one of my favorite things to host! There are plenty of small snacks, finger foods, and wonderful drinks for everyone to enjoy. I like that I can do most of the preparations before my guests arrive. I want to be able to spend time with everyone and not be confined to the kitchen until I need a quick break from the chaos.
11.36 oz Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix
8 oz Cream Cheese Softened
1.25 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
16 oz Ground Sausage Uncooked
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Stir together the Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix, Cream Cheese, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, and Ground Sausage.
- We use a dough hook on our KitchenAid mixer, but you can make it by hand as well.
- Shape into a 1-inch sausage ball and place on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Strawberry Cream Cheese
Do you enjoy a delicious sweet schmear on your bagel? Try making your own Strawberry Cream Cheese! The flavor is far superior to those of store-bought varieties. It’s delicious and lively, with just the proper amount of sweetness. It’s great for slathering over bagels or toast or as a dip for strawberries. It’s also delicious as part of a spread of handmade cream cheeses during a bagel breakfast. It just takes 5 minutes to prepare.
8-ounce block of softened cream cheese
¾ cup diced fresh strawberries
Two tablespoons sugar
- Check that the cream cheese is softened. Let it come to room temperature for 1 hour, or set it on a dish in the microwave for 5 seconds, then flip it over and cook for another 5 seconds.
- In a food processor, mix the chopped strawberries and sugar until mostly blended, stopping and scraping as needed. You can also use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to achieve a chunkier texture.
- Pulse several times until the softened cream cheese is well blended with the strawberry mixture. Avoid the urge to whip excessively. Refrigerate until ready to serve or for up to 2 weeks. (The texture will be soft and spreadable right away; it will firm up slightly when chilled.)
4. Whipped Cream Cheese
What goes better with a bagel than cream cheese? Cream cheese that has been whipped! With a rich, velvety texture, this light, fluffy version of the popular spread is even easier to spread on bagels and toast. You can buy it at a store, but you can also make it at home! When you prepare it at home, you can experiment with different seasonings to create different flavor variants.
8-ounce package of softened cream cheese
½ tablespoon milk
Variation: 3 tablespoons chopped chives, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, or Herb Cream Cheese
- Check that the cream cheese is softened. Let it come to room temperature for 1 hour, or set it on a dish in the microwave for 5 seconds, then flip it over and cook for another 5 seconds. (If it isn’t room temperature at this point, cook for a few more seconds, but be conservative.)
- In a food processor or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the cream cheese and milk for 1 to 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. You’ll need to stop and scrape a few times in a big food processor.
- Add the chives and spices to make chive whipped cream cheese, or use Herb Cream Cheese instead. Refrigerate for up to two weeks.
In conclusion, light cream cheese can be used in many ways, and there are many tasty recipes that include it. Whether you’re looking for a savory brunch dish, an indulgent dessert, or something light and healthy for a snack, there is a delicious light cream cheese recipe out there that will hit the spot!