Snapchat’s popularity is due to the platform’s commitment to users’ privacy protection. Videos and images posted to the platform usually vanish within 24 hours. While the messaging feature has improved the app’s usability, the inability to unsend pictures and videos is a major disadvantage. The good news is that other types of content can be blocked from reaching other Snapchat users.
Is it possible to unsend a Snapchat?
Snapchat does not allow users to unsend video or picture snaps. However, users have the ability to delete other categories of content from the platform. Even though there is no function to “unsend,” you have the option to delete messages. It is more convenient to unsend them, particularly if you sent something to the wrong person by mistake.
When you delete the snap, each member of the chat will receive a notification that a sent file has been deleted. They won’t know what the message said, but they will be notified that something was removed from the chat.
You can delete the files listed below from your Snapchat conversations:
- Messages by Text
- Audio Recordings
- Images and videos sent via the Memory Tab
It is impossible to undo the action of forwarding images and videos to Snapchat contacts. Snapchat users can delete images and videos that they have shared as Snapchat Stories. If you’re using the Memory tab to send photos and videos to friends, you can delete them. This is due to the fact that these files were saved or uploaded from your mobile device.
People who are still using older versions of the Snapchat app have shared their attempts to unsend Snapchat images and videos. If you haven’t yet upgraded to a newer version of Snapchat, the following tips may help you delete image and video snaps after you’ve sent them:
- Check that your device is in airplane mode.
- Remove the recipient from your list of Snapchat friends.
- Simply log out of your account.
- Block the recipient of the snap.
- Remove the application from your device.
- Deactivate or delete your Snapchat account.
These tips are only applicable if you’re using an older Snapchat version. Because sent snaps are quickly transferred to the cloud, testing these methods on newer versions of the app will be ineffective. As a result, any attempts to remove the snap will be fruitless. It will only vanish when the recipient opens it, and after that, Snapchat removes it from its servers.
While images and videos cannot be removed, messages can be deleted. This feature comes in handy when you need to correct a typo or change the message’s content. It also allows you to prevent the content from reaching the wrong person, which is common on social media apps.
It is relatively simple to delete a snap before it has been read by the recipient. It can be done in group conversations as well as one-on-one chats. This is possible with both Android and iOS devices.
How to Unsend an iPhone Snap?
You have the option on your iPhone to delete your snap in order to prevent it from being seen by the wrong person. While you are chatting with one person or a group of people on your iPhone, you have the option to delete the snap.
If you accidentally sent a snap to the wrong person, you can delete it as follows:
- Navigate to the chat where you sent the message in your Snapchat messaging section.
- Scroll through the conversations until you find the text you want to remove.
- With your finger, tap and hold the message.
- Choose the “Delete” option.
- You will be asked to confirm your choice by the app. To complete the action, click “Delete” once more.
- Check the bottom of the snap to see if the other person has opened it before performing this action. It makes little sense to delete it after the other person has seen it.
How to unsend a Snapchat on android?
Snapchat’s Android app allows users to remove snaps from group chats and one-on-one conversations. Here’s how to remove a snap from a conversation with another user:
- Select the conversation where the snap was sent from your Snapchat messaging section.
- Find the message you want to delete.
- With your finger, press down on the message.
- Select the “Delete” option.
- When the platform asks you to confirm the action, tap “Delete” once more.
If the chat indicates that the recipient has seen the message, deleting it may cause some confusion. Always check the status of the snap before proceeding with these steps.
How to unsend a Snapchat on iPads
Snapchat was not initially designed to work on iPads, but users have found a way around this limitation by altering the filters on their Apple App Store and installing the iPhone version of the app. If you also use Snapchat on an iPad, you have the ability to delete snaps that were sent to you in a chat. You are able to do so either in one-on-one conversations or in conversations with a group of people.
To delete a snap you sent to another user, follow these steps:
- Go to the Snapchat messaging section and choose the recipient to which you sent the snap.
- Scroll through the conversation until you find the snap you want to delete.
- With your finger, press down on the snap and hold for several seconds.
- When a pop-up list appears, select the “Delete” option.
- There will be another purple “Delete” button. Tap it to confirm the action and complete the procedure.
Even though the contents of a snap are hidden when it is deleted, other members of the chat will notice that something has been removed from the chat. Before removing the snap, you should think of a convincing reason to explain what you’re doing in case they show any interest or question you about it.
Snapchat is a game-changer in the realm of social media due to the fact that snaps disappear so quickly, thereby increasing the level of privacy protection. However, a great number of users are frustrated that the app does not yet have a function that enables them to remove previously sent content. You will be able to delete snaps from your Snapchat conversations using the methods that are outlined in this guide until the platform provides a solution to the problem.