As we adapt to an increasingly digital world, finding ways to maintain our social connections is essential. Watching Netflix with friends and family while on FaceTime has become popular, allowing us to share our favorite movies and TV shows with our loved ones in real time. We have created this comprehensive guide to help you set up your devices, connect with friends, and start watching Netflix on FaceTime. Let’s dive in!
What is FaceTime?
FaceTime is Apple’s video and audio calling service that allows users to communicate with each other using their Apple devices. With FaceTime, you can make video calls to people on their iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac and even participate in group calls with multiple people.
While FaceTime was initially designed for one-on-one communication, it has evolved into a versatile tool for socializing and connecting with others in various ways, including watching movies and TV shows.
Why Watch Netflix on FaceTime?
There are several reasons why people choose to watch Netflix on FaceTime:
- Shared Experience: Watching Netflix together creates a shared experience that can help strengthen relationships and create lasting memories.
- Real-Time Reactions: When watching a movie or TV show with friends on FaceTime, you can see and hear their real-time reactions, making the experience more engaging and enjoyable.
- Ease of Use: Watching Netflix on FaceTime is a simple and convenient way to enjoy content with friends, as it utilizes apps and devices you likely already have.
- Safe Socializing: When social distancing is necessary, watching Netflix on FaceTime provides a safe way to connect with friends and family without putting anyone at risk.
Setting Up Your Devices
To watch Netflix on FaceTime, you’ll need the following:
- An Apple device with FaceTime (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac)
- A Netflix account and the Netflix app installed on your device
- A stable internet connection
- Headphones (optional but recommended)
Here’s how to set up your devices to watch Netflix on FaceTime:
- Update Your Device: Ensure your Apple device is running the latest iOS, iPadOS, or macOS version. Go to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to do this. On a Mac, click the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. Update your device if needed.
- Install FaceTime: If you don’t already have FaceTime on your device, download it from the App Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or the Mac App Store on a Mac.
- Sign in to FaceTime: Open the FaceTime app and sign in with your Apple ID. If you don’t have an Apple ID, you can create one by following the on-screen instructions.
- Install Netflix: If you don’t already have the Netflix app on your device, download it from the App Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or the Mac App Store on a Mac.
- Sign in to Netflix: Open the Netflix app and sign in with your Netflix account credentials. If you don’t have a Netflix account, you can create one by following the on-screen instructions.
Connecting with Friends
Now that your devices are set up, it’s time to connect with your friends and start a FaceTime call. Here’s how:
- Open FaceTime: Launch the FaceTime app on your Apple device.
- Create a Group Call: To start a group call, tap the plus (+) icon in the top-right corner of the FaceTime app (on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch) or click “File” > “New Group Call” in the menu bar (on Mac).
- Add Participants: Enter the names, phone numbers, or email addresses of the friends you want to watch Netflix with. You can add up to 31 additional participants for 32 people in a group FaceTime call.
- Start the Call: Once you’ve added all the participants, tap or click the “Video” button to start the group FaceTime video call.
- Adjust Audio Settings: To ensure a quality experience, it’s a good idea to use headphones while watching Netflix on FaceTime. This will help prevent echo and audio feedback between your device’s speaker and microphone.
Watching Netflix on Your Device While on FaceTime
Now that you’re connected with your friends on FaceTime, you can start watching Netflix together. Here’s how:
- Split Your Screen: To watch Netflix while on FaceTime, you’ll need to split your screen so that both apps are visible simultaneously. Use the Slide Over or Split View features on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (available on certain models). On a Mac, you can use the built-in Split View feature or simply resize and arrange the FaceTime and Netflix windows side by side.
- Select a Movie or TV Show: Open the Netflix app on your device and choose a movie or TV show you’d like to watch with your friends.
- Synchronize Playback: To ensure everyone is watching the same content simultaneously, countdown from three and have everyone press play simultaneously. Alternatively, you can use a third-party app like Watch2Gether or Teleparty (previously known as Netflix Party) to sync playback across devices automatically.
- Enjoy the Show: Now that you’re all set up, sit back, relax, and enjoy watching Netflix with your friends on FaceTime!
If you’re unable to watch Netflix on FaceTime using the methods described above or using non-Apple devices, there are alternative ways to enjoy movies and TV shows together online. Here are a few popular options:
- Teleparty: Formerly known as Netflix Party, Teleparty is a browser extension for Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Opera that synchronizes Netflix playback across multiple devices and adds a group chat feature for real-time communication. It’s compatible with Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and HBO.
- Watch2Gether: Watch2Gether is a website that allows you to create a virtual room to watch videos, listen to music, or play games with friends in real-time. It supports various streaming services, including Netflix.
- Zoom: While Zoom is primarily a video conferencing tool, you can also use it to watch Netflix with friends by sharing your screen and computer audio during a Zoom meeting.
- Kast: Kast is a desktop app and web-based platform that lets you create virtual rooms to watch movies, TV shows, and other content with friends. It supports a wide range of streaming services, including Netflix.
If you encounter any issues while watching Netflix on FaceTime, try the following troubleshooting tips:
- Check Your Internet Connection: Ensure you have a stable and fast internet connection for FaceTime and Netflix. A slow or unstable connection can cause buffering, lag, or disconnections.
- Restart Your Device: If you’re experiencing issues with FaceTime or Netflix, try restarting your device to clear any temporary issues.
- Update Apps: Make sure you’re using the latest versions of the FaceTime and Netflix apps. Outdated apps can cause compatibility issues and performance problems.
- Adjust Playback Settings: If you’re experiencing buffering or lag while watching Netflix, try reducing the playback quality in the Netflix app settings.
- Contact Support: If you’re still experiencing issues, contact Apple Support or Netflix Support for assistance.
Watching Netflix on FaceTime is a great way to connect with friends and family and enjoy a shared experience from the comfort of your home. Following the steps outlined in this comprehensive guide will make you well on your way to a fun and engaging group viewing experience. And remember, alternative methods are available if you cannot watch Netflix on FaceTime or are using non-Apple devices. So grab some popcorn, invite your friends, and start streaming!
No, you can also use other AirPlay-compatible devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
Discord allows you to create voice or video chat rooms and share Netflix from your computer using its Go Live feature.
Yes, Rave is a social app that enables synchronized watching of videos, including Netflix, while communicating with friends through text or voice messages.