Many Instagram users experienced problems with Instagram Direct Messages, which was quite frustrating. This incident began on July 5th and is currently ongoing.
Why is Instagram DMs not working?
The primary cause for Instagram DMs not appearing is unknown; however, it appears like Instagram is expecting a major update somewhere in the app. We examined the requests made by Instagram users all across the world and discovered that Instagram is not available in some regions, including India. As a result, we can assume that Instagram is working on a significant update for these countries. Here are some of the most common difficulties reported by Instagram users:
- Instagram messages were not shown, were not loaded, or were unable to receive any Instagram messages.
- The Instagram server is most likely to blame. There are occasions when the Instagram server is down, and as a result, you may be unable to send or receive direct messages.
- Instagram may have a problem or issue.
- You may be using an out-of-date version of Instagram.
- Your internet connection may be unstable and weak.
- Updating to a new version can also cause such an issue; however, if this is the case, it will be fixed in the next update.
- There might be a problem with the Instagram cache. In many situations, this is also one of the primary causes.
How can I fix Instagram DMs that aren’t working?
Because we are experiencing this issue as a result of Instagram’s down status, the only thing we can do is wait for the Instagram staff to fix it, or we can check the Instagram down status using some online tools such as downdetector.com. If you visit this page and search for Instagram, you will see an upward chart, indicating that the problem still remains. If you’ve lately encountered issues with your Instagram DM and are unable to send or receive direct messages, you’ve come to the right place. Many people have recently experienced issues with Instagram DM, so you are not alone in experiencing this problem. In this article, I’ll explain the possible causes of this problem and offer several solutions that you could try to hopefully fix it. So let’s get started.
1. Wait for a couple of hours
This kind of issue is usually caused by the Instagram server. Therefore it’s best to wait a few hours before trying again. You can use online tools like downdetector.com to see if Instagram is working properly.
2. Restart your phone
If something is wrong with Instagram, such as the DM not working correctly, simply restart your phone. This easy but highly essential technique helps your phone in getting rid of all the unneeded info that has accumulated in the RAM. Believe me, in many circumstances, a simple restart will fix many Instagram issues. So, before we go on to further solutions, try restarting your phone and see if the problem goes away.
3. Ensure that you have strong and reliable Internet connectivity
In the Instagram app, poor connectivity always causes a slew of issues. If you believe your connection is too slow, you can toggle between Wi-Fi and mobile data connections. So, if you’re connected to Wi-Fi, change to a mobile data connection and vice versa. Follow the instructions below if you don’t know how to check your connectivity and ensure that everything is working properly.
- In your browser, type Speed test and search for it.
- Then, tap the first webpage that appears.
- All you have to do now is press the Go button.
- The website will display your connection speed within a few seconds.
If your connection speed is less than 5 Mbps after doing your internet speed test, it suggests you have a bad connection. Simply choose between Wi-Fi and mobile data connectivity. If neither your Wi-Fi nor your mobile data connection is powerful enough, look for another internet provider in your area.
4. Clear the Instagram cache
The Instagram cache can be cleared, which is a straightforward method that will free up the storage used by the app. In many circumstances, deleting the cache will solve the issue if something isn’t working properly.
How to Clear Instagram Cache on an iPhone
- Get your phone and go to Settings.
- Select the General option.
- Next, select iPhone Storage.
- Scroll down to find and tap on the Instagram app.
- Next, select Offload App. By doing so, the Instagram app’s temporary cache will be cleared and reimported.
- Now, select Reinstall App. There is a good chance that by following this simple procedure, your DMs will be reimported from the Instagram server, and everything will function normally.
How to Clear Instagram Cache on Android
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down to the Apps section and tap it.
- Find and open the Instagram app.
- Select Storage.
- Lastly, select Clear Cache.
5. Update Instagram to the latest version
If your Instagram is not up to date, you may have issues similar to the one you are currently experiencing. So, if you have an iPhone, go to the App Store and download the latest version of Instagram, and if you have an Android device, go to Google Play.
6. Revert to an earlier version
What I’m going to tell you may seem unusual, but it’s true. Sometimes everything works perfectly on Instagram, but then you update the app, and everything stops working! I’m not saying you shouldn’t update the app, but you should be aware that it isn’t always the greatest option. Fortunately, when a glitch or whatever happens on Instagram as a result of a new update, the glitch, bug, or whatever is fixed in the next update. So, if the DM issue is caused by a recent update, there is no need to panic; they will fix it as soon as possible. To cut a long story short, if you still have the problem, you should try an older version, which will certainly fix the problem. However, do not use an older version! Then, after a few days or so, when they have fixed the issue or bug in the new version, you can update your Instagram.
7. Make contact with Instagram
You can report this problem by going to the Instagram app > Setting > Help > Report a problem.
In conclusion, Instagram’s direct messages may fail for a variety of reasons. Bugs saved in your application’s cache are one of the most important and likely causes of Instagram DM glitches. If you see that no one has blocked you or that you are not attempting to contact a deactivated Instagram user, consider clearing your Instagram cache to fix the problem. If you found this article informative, you may also want to read our blog Instagram filters not working. You’ll learn how to fix it here.