One of the safest methods to keep your cryptocurrency is in hard wallets. Apparently, you are interested in finding out how connecting Ledger to Metamask works because it is what will be covered in this post. Let’s see how it works and what’s in the store for us.
What are the requirements for this tutorial?
You must have a few things ready to comfortably follow this lesson. The following is a list of some of the boxes you should check to make sure you can follow this advice and get the desired outcomes.
- A browser such as Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Brave
- A Ledger device
How connecting Ledger to Metamask works
Among the greatest hardware wallets for protecting your cryptocurrency valuables are Ledger wallets. The Ledger Nano X and Ledger Nano S are two examples of the different variants of these wallets. No matter the version, there are only three easy steps needed to link your Ledger wallet to MetaMask. Connecting Ledger to Metamask is nothing to worry about.
Step 1: Setting up a MetaMask Wallet Account
The security of MetaMask is excellent, but it is increased by combining it with a cold wallet. Creating a MetaMask account is the first step in linking a MetaMask wallet to Ledger. A tutorial on the account setup is provided here.
- Download MetaMask wallet on your PC
- After the download is finished, go to your browser’s menu and choose “extension.”
- To activate the extension, locate the MetaMask Extension and click the Get Started button.
- A new tab will appear, giving you the choice to Import Your Wallet or Create a Wallet. Select “Create a Wallet” from the menu.
- Read the MetaMask terms and conditions on the next page, and then click the “I Agree” button to accept them.
- A pop-up requesting you to create and confirm your password will now appear. Complete the required fields, then click Create.
A 12-word recovery phrase for your account is generated by MetaMask once you establish your password. If you lose access to your MetaMask account, this phrase aids in its recovery.
Keep it private and do not reveal it to anyone else since the phrase functions as a type of password that anyone may use to access and interact with your MetaMask account. You may now conduct transactions on your MetaMask wallet account after protecting your recovery phrase.
Step 2: Setting Up a Ledger Wallet
Before you can link your new Ledger wallet to MetaMask, it must first be configured. To correctly configure your Ledger wallet, follow these instructions.
- Install the Ledger Live app on Linux, Windows, and Mac computers.
- Open the app’s interface after installation, then click the Get Started button.
- Select the type of Ledger wallet you are using.
Other Ledger wallets should use the same setup procedure as the Nano X in this article.
- Click the option labeled “Set up a new Nano X” in the upper right corner of the dashboard that appears.
- Click the Let’s do this button to start the setup procedure after reading the offered materials to have a better understanding of the wallet.
- Click the “OK, I’m ready” button in the bottom right corner of the page after reading the tab’s contents.
- Click OK. I Got It on the pop-up reminder to access the main page.
Connect your Ledger wallet to your computer via the USB port once you’re on the home page, and then use the device’s black and gray buttons to scroll through the setup steps.
- Press both buttons at once to pick “Set up as a new device” from the list of instructions.
- You’ll see the directive: Pick a pin with four to eight digits. To choose this option, simultaneously press the gray and black buttons.
- When you have located the desired digit in the pin field using the buttons, push the buttons simultaneously to pick it. Keep going until you have the entire pin.
- When finished, press both buttons at once to save your pin.
- For the instruction to Confirm your pin that comes next, repeat the pin-typing procedure.
- This leads you to the instruction to enter your recovery phrase.
Pick up one of the three recovery phrase cards you received in the Ledger package when you purchased the device and a pen at this stage. Have them both prepared at your side, and make sure no one else is around who might jeopardize the confidentiality of your recovery phrase.
- To view the disclaimer information, scroll right on the device until you reach the To proceed and apply the instruction, press both buttons.
- The first word of your recovery phrase will now appear. On the recovery phrase card, note it down. Make careful to spell out the phrase exactly as it appears on the gadget and next to its number.
- When finished with one sentence, scroll right to see the next. When finished, scroll back to make sure you have the appropriate spelling and order.
- For your recovery phrase, scroll back to the previous word and push both buttons at once.
- The number of the recovery phrase you must enter will be shown on your smartphone. Find the word that corresponds to the number presented by using the buttons to browse among the words.
- To validate the sentence, press both buttons at once. Do this for each of the 24 words. When everything is finished, you will get the message, “Your recovery phrase is set. Keep it in a safe location.
- To continue processing, scroll to the right and click both buttons. Your gadget will start reading after processing is finished; it is now ready.
- You may reach the dashboard by scrolling to the right and pressing both buttons at once. There, you will see the Install app instruction.
- Return to your app and read the instructions starting with “Get started” all the way through to “Hide your recovery phrase.” Click OK, I’m finished with the Hide your recovery phrase page.
- To take a three-question quiz, click the Let’s take this quiz button on the pop-up that opens.
- When the Allow Ledger merger instruction appears after you finish the quiz, choose “Check my Nano” in the app and push both buttons on the Nano.
- Once you click the Continue button on the app, your Ledger wallet will be correctly configured.
Step 3: Connecting Ledger to MetaMask
If you wish to utilize your freshly formed MetaMask account to store or conduct transactions using the various cryptocurrencies mentioned on MetaMask, you must connect it to your Ledger wallet. You may set up Ledger with your MetaMask account by following these instructions.
- To disclose your account, choose the MetaMask extension from the list of extensions on your browser.
- Locate the Connect Hardware Wallet option by clicking the Profile symbol and choosing it.
- To link your MetaMask account to your Ledger wallet, select Ledger from the tab that pops up and then hit Continue.
Make that your Ledger is currently plugged into your computer and that you are using the Ledger Live software. The connection is then enabled.
- You will notice a pop-up window requesting that you connect to your USB device on your MetaMask dashboard. To establish a connection, click the Connect button.
- You will see a page with a list of the accounts connected to your Ledger wallet after the connection is complete. Click Unlock after selecting the accounts you wish to link together on MetaMask.
If the Ledger account or accounts you just unlocked are displayed on the next screen, your MetaMask wallet and Ledger have been properly connected. You may try again if the account doesn’t appear, and if it doesn’t work either, you can ask Ledger for assistance.
How Do I Find My Ledger Nano Address?
It’s easy to locate your Ledger Nano address. Start by login into the Ledger Live app after connecting your Ledger to the PC. Click the Receive option in the app’s menu area.
Choose the account whose address you’re looking for, check off each instruction on the screen that follows, then press the Continue button. The address will show up on the screen of your Ledger device and in the Ledger Live app. That is your Ledger Nano Address if these addresses resemble one another.
Is Ledger Wallet Address Always The Same?
For each account, the Ledger Wallet address is the same. If you have several accounts, each has a different address.
I hope this guide helped you through connecting Ledger to MetaMask. Share it with other people if you find it useful so they may also gain from it.