The Jamaican Otaheite apple is the Malay rose apple, coco plum, and Mountain apple. Its form is similar to that of a pear cultivated in the United States, and it has an appealing bright red color with breathtakingly white flesh on the interior. It was brought to Jamaica in 1793 under the botanical name Syzgium malaccense. As the skin of the Otaheite apple turns a deep red that appears black, it is at its juiciest and sweetest. It’s more than just a sweet and refreshing fresh fruit; it’s also high in vitamins and minerals, making it an excellent option for a healthy lifestyle.
It is 91 percent water and has just 100 calories per 100 grams (3.5 ounces). It has several health benefits and is considered a superfood. Otaheite apple can be consumed raw or made into an energizing beverage to treat a fever. It also has antioxidant properties that combat free radicals, which cause the indications of aging. These are just a few of the benefits of the Otaheite Jamaican apple that everyone should be aware of.
- Calcium – The fruit includes calcium, important for strong bones, teeth, muscles, and the nervous system.
- Carotene – Carotene is used by the body to maintain healthy eyes, skin, mucous membranes, and the immune system. It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial qualities that can help with acne.
- Fiber – Digestive health depends on getting enough fiber, and Otaheite apple is a good source. It aids blood sugar regulation and weight loss by making people feel fuller for longer periods.
- Iron – Iron is necessary for the body’s ability to generate red blood cells and transport oxygen-rich blood. Iron is also used in the synthesis of some hormones.
- Niacin – This is a B vitamin necessary for the proper functioning of the neurological, digestive, and digestive systems.
- Phosphorus – A mineral required for the normal formation and maintenance of cell membranes and being a vital component of a person’s DNA and RNA.
- Riboflavin – Commonly known as vitamin B2, it transforms food into fuel that the body can use. It helps in the efficient metabolization of protein and fat.
- Thiamine – Thiamine is vitamin B1 and a chemical that the body cannot produce independently. It is necessary for a healthy nervous system and the conversion of food into energy.
- Vitamin A is necessary for the immune system, eyesight, and healthy functioning of the lungs, heart, and other internal organs.
- Vitamin C protects and keeps cells, bones, blood vessels, and cartilage healthy. It is also useful in treating tropical sprue and celiac disease.
The list is lengthy, but these are thought to be the primary health benefits of eating this delightful fruit.
- Reduce Inflammation
- Preventing certain cancer types
- Encourage healthy skin.
- Increase circulation and bone strength
- Prevent or slow the progression of diabetes
- Enhance vision and hair health
- Prevent the formation of cataracts.
Hey, how about a delicious drink recipe (below)? Let us give it a go.
Recipe for Jamaican Apple Drink
- 1 Lime
- Honey to taste
- 2 cups of water
- 2 small mint leaves for decoration
- Wash and slice the apples (leave the skin on)
- Mix the water, apples, lime juice, three pieces of ginger, and honey to taste in a blender.
- Mix on high until smooth.
- Serve with crushed ice. Sprinkle with mint leaves if preferred.
Keep an eye out for worms
Pick your apples with care. Worms live in some deep crimson ones, which spoil quickly due to their high water content. So, buy enough to last one to two days. However, they can survive up to three days in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. The beautiful flaming red blossoms are eaten in salads in Indonesia, and the young leaves and shoots are also used in rice dishes for people who prefer to explore and try new methods of cooking food. They are used to create red wine with the skin on and white wine when peeled in Puerto Rico. Slightly underripe fruits are also used for making jelly and pickles. If you have an abundance of this fruit, there are several ways to preserve and enjoy it out of season.
Eating Otaheite Jamaican apples is a great way to reap many health benefits, and it’s easier than ever. This amazing fruit has been found to help prevent obesity, lower cholesterol, boost immunity, and even aid mental clarity. It’s an easy addition to any meal and makes a delicious snack. Otaheite apple is worth checking out, so you can start seeing its amazing benefits today!