If you get an error message when visiting your website or webmail, it’s probably because your IP has been temporarily blocked by a firewall. A firewall is a security system that acts as a filter and allows a server to block unwanted or dangerous access. Some events, such as multiple login attempts with wrong credentials, trigger firewall rules, resulting in the IP address being blocked.
If your IP has been temporarily blocked while trying to access a website, cPanel, or email, the page will take a long time to r pond, and eventually, you will see a timeout error. The easiest way to find out if your IP is blocked is to try to connect to the website using a different IP address.
If you were visiting a website while your system is connected to Wi-Fi, you could try to connect using another connection. So, if you are connecting from another device with a different connection and you can access the website, it means which that your IP has been temporarily blocked.
Also, you can use a service like “is it down or just me” to check if the IP website is up or down. Connect to the website and enter the URL of the website you want to visit. If the tool tells you that the website is accessible and you cannot access it, it means that your IP has been temporarily blocked.
Reasons for blocking the IP address:
The server firewall can block the IP address for various reasons. In reasons cases, a blocked IP address is the result of repeated login attempts with incorrect credentials. Let’s see what the main causes of IP address blocking are. Note that this list is not exhaustive and only mentions the most common causes.
Brute-force attacks or repeated incorrect
login a temp period login attempts are made with wrong credentials within a short period of time, the system blocks the IP address. This system is used to mitigate brute-force attacks or try to figure out a password by using a combination of different characters until the correct password is found.
The most common reasons you might get your IP has been blocked:
1. Repeated attempts to access the admin section of your website (for example, WordPress backend) with the wrong username and password combination.
2. Using a username and the wrong password to enter Cpanel.
3. Repeated attempts to access.
4. Incorrect configuration of email client, FTP client (for example, Filezilla), or login via SSH connection with wrong credentials.
5. IP of a country is not allowed
6. Frequent error response codes
In some cases, if you are shown a series of error pages, such as a series of duplicate 403 errors or duplicate 4xx client-side and 5xx server-side error codes, your IP may be blocked.
7. Scan port
Attempting to scan server ports is identified as a suspicious activity as it is often used by hackers to identify potential vulnerabilities.
Brute-force attacks or repeated incorrect login attempts
If repeated login attempts are made with the wrong credentials within a short period of time, the system will temporarily block the IP address.
This system is used to mitigate brute-force attacks or try to figure out a password by using a combination of different characters until the correct password is found.
Open the IP blocked in the host by the Sindad portal.
1. To open the IP blocked in the host, you must log in to your user panel in the Sindad portal. I
2. When you enter your web hosting page, you will see all the information about your host. On the target package whose domain is blocked, click.
3. On the opened page, you can see your hosting information, and also on this page, you can access a series of tools for managing your hosting.
4. Now, to free your IP, scroll down to the bottom of the page to select unblock IP address in the right menu and click on it.
5. If your IP is in the block list, after selecting this option, it will be removed from the block list, and on the page, the reasons why your IP was entered into the block list; will be displayed. In this way, the process of opening the blocked IP in the host is finished.
Access to CSF
If you have installed config server security & firewall (CSF) in your WHM as a plugin, you can easily access it from the menu.
Step 1: Log in to the WHM dashboard on your server
Step 2: At the top left of the screen, there is a text input box that can be used to search for menu options. For quick access to CSF, just type “config server” in it. Open up blocked in CSF using config server security & firewall in whom
Using the above method, you can check if a specific IP address is blocked in the firewall or not. If it is displayed in the firewall, there is an unblock button at the bottom of the report page to solve the problem of blocking the IP. By clicking on it, the corresponding IP will be opened.
Add a permanent permit.
Step 1: Go to the config server security & firewall page (taught above).
Step 2: Scroll down until you find the quick allow option.
Step 3: Enter the IP address for which you want to issue a license in the green box.
Step 4: Add a comment or description for it so that this license can be easily identified if necessary.
Step 5: Click on “allow permission.” This will authorize the IP address, and the changes will take effect immediately. This rule will remain in place until it is completely removed from the system.
In general, the firewall plays a decisive role in the security of a server, so hosting companies put advanced settings on their servers in the firewall to reduce the vulnerability of sites to a minimum. CSF firewall is one of the best and most used firewalls for Linux servers, and Sindad has used this firewall in all its servers and customized its settings. One of the things that users usually see on these servers is that their IPs are blocked. In this article, we have tried to explain comprehensive explanations of the causes and solutions to remove the block, either through the cPanel host or through the Sindad portal. If you found this article informative, you may also want to read our blog on changing your location in Google. Hopefully, you’ll like it.